January 08, 2010

to be a treasure



While we were away last week, Laura and Eric often wandered ahead a bit… and I would watch as she leaned into him, and often took his hand. And all at once I would send up a prayer of thankfulness… for this good man who found me and made me his wife. And for the Daddy he is to our children. My Laura, she is a homebody. Happy and content to share time and be seen with us. Still. And I wonder how much of it has to do with this Daddy she holds dear. This man who acknowledges her… and shows interest in her activities, and takes time for her. She is quite a fortunate young lady… to have three examples of strong gentle men who will pull her into their arms and extend their hearts to hers. I hope and pray that when it is her time, she will find a man who is much like her father and her grandfathers…

Looking back, I don’t know when it started… but I always wanted to be Daddy’s Little Girl. Maybe it was the song some beautiful girl sang on the Lawrence Welk show… or maybe the blue pajamas that declared My Heart Belongs to Daddy… either way, it didn’t make a difference. Because I wasn’t the little one. I was never treated poorly… but it would have been so nice… to feel like I was a treasure in my Daddy’s eyes. Even after the divorce, in anger, I wanted that. What I didn’t know then… is that I was a treasure in another Father’s eyes. And in Bob’s eyes, too. He has never really felt like a stepfather to me… because he always made time to make me feel special. Still.

A little girl needs her Daddy… and big girls, too. Seeking approval, love, or just seeking shelter from the storm that life is. There are days when I don’t feel sparkly or worthy at all, but I hold tight to the knowledge that I am always a treasure in His eyes. And I hope and pray that my own sweet daughter will always know that, too…

post signature

7 comments :

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is so sweet.
And you know how I feel about this subject too...our kids are very lucky.

Jennifer Juniper said...

I can relate to this from my own experience. After my parents divorced, my mom tried her best to make us hate my dad. She encouraged us to call him by his first name and tried to move a step-father into the dad position while pushing our own father out.

Thank goodness I realized what was happening before it was too late and made up with my dad. I moved in with him when I was 17 and we've never looked back.

I see in his eyes what you longed for each time I see him. It makes me cry to write this, because I almost lost it forever.

I agree, a girl needs her daddy. Thank you for the reminder.

Richella Parham said...

So often I can relate, on a deep heart level, to your posts. I always, always, always wanted to be Daddy's girl. . . one of the hardest things of my adult life is that I have so wanted to be CHERISHED.

I am so glad for Laura. One day she will know just how fortunate she is (actually, I think she already has some idea, but one day she'll really know). And you'll know that you were the one who got to rear the daughter who got to grow up knowing she was special. What joys await you both.

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Well said Dawn. My Jessica and Patrick have that special bond that it was hard for 1940 & 50's Daddy's to have with their daughters (though we knew they loved us). I thank God for this blessing all the time. You know Patrick adopted Jessica and according to old Jewish tradition the bond of adoption is stronger than the blood birthright and can NEVER be broken. That is the perfect picture of us as adopted children of God. He'll never leave or desert us. Hallelujah!!
Blessings on your head, Cassie

Kat said...

Awwwwww. Reminds me of Fep and The Bob. She's a homebody and he's an awesome Daddy. You are blessed...but you know that :)

And the post below this had some awesomely awesome penguin pictures!

Has Eric was his ham prize yet?! :)

Unknown said...

Such wise words. I am so thankful for my earthly Daddy and my heavenly Father. So richly blessed! I hope your sweet daughter will love spending time with you for many more years! : )

HWHL said...

Wise, wise words. I, too, am thankful for the father my kids have.

Back to Top