September 15, 2009

friendship and a tiara


It was a long week (why does it seem that the short ones always are?), and a day that stretched on without much motivation, try as I might. But I let her half-drag me out to a movie that I didn’t care about, because she is my friend, and I really wanted to spend some time with her. No time for dinner, we slipped through the drive-thru at Chik-fil-a... and I noticed the pink balloons, proclaiming Princess Night. I almost wished to be eating inside... but the very polite young man managed to find me a spare tiara, and that, with the Polynesian sauce, sweetened my mood... just enough to make it over to the movie theatre.
The movie was not great... and that, combined with a large group loud pre-teen girls scurrying in and out of the show (I really didn’t blame them, I just wished they hadn’t bumped my seat so often) was only made worse by my sweater not keeping me warm enough. But even bad movies do end... and when we finally left the theatre, the sky was pouring down sheets of rain into the dark night. Not a great scenario for driving… and as she was clutching the steering wheel, I offered to drive her car… because that is what friends are for.
Back at her house… safe from the pouring rain and the pre-teen chatterboxes… we peeked into the fridge, and discovered just enough wine for two friends to share. With a clink of glasses, we were able to sit on the couch and visit… and with my feet tucked up under me, and a tiara on my head, I was finally right where I wanted to be. The rest of day faded out as we sat there and visited… laughing and listening. And I am ever thankful for just such a friend.

Emily, thanks for letting me share my Tuesday (on a Saturday) Moment...
Tuesdays Unwrapped

19 comments :

togetherforgood said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. :)

Kelli said...

There is nothing so comfortable than a great friend...and wine!!!

Rosemarie said...

OH! I always think about the watermelons, too! :)

Rosemarie said...

I hear ya about the movies - I went against my better judgement recently and regretted it the whole time! :) Much rather wait for Netflix!

It sounds like your evening ended on a nice, note though - and good friends are the best.

Playing Sublimely said...

Thank you for your encouragement...trying to leave the guilt at home :)! Wow...what a treat you and the hubby get!!

Corinne said...

I love this story! And of course, nothing is better than a good friend and a glass of wine :)

ELK said...

Dawn what a special friend I know you must be...glad it turned out well in the end

Get Real Girl said...

I love nights like this with a dear friend.

Busy Bee Suz said...

this sounds like it ended up just like it should have started. :)
Ok, what was the bad movie???

Kat said...

Mmmmmmmm. Snuggling in, close friend, chatting. Good stuff. And somehow the tiara just pulls it all together.....

Jen said...

I like happy endings. :)

Richella said...

I find myself wishing that you lived here in Durham. I wouldn't make you go to a movie; I'd just have you here to tuck your feet under you and have a glass of wine with me.

I think we're kindred spirits.

Love,
Richella

emily said...

I just knew this post would end well :) but I'm left wondering what movie you went to see so I can avoid it!

deb said...

Oh this sounds so like me... and especially when you can't really chat in the theatre anyway.
Wishing you more nights like that .... and for myself soon to, ah...

great to "see" you

Cassie said...

I've given up on new movies---saw a really bad one this summer by myself and wish I hadn't wasted the $$. Popcorn was good though.

A dear friend to share special girl times with is what we all need. Thank God for my handful of dear friends here and in AZ.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

A movie with a girlfriend,
a glass of wine, and dinner at Chick-Fil-A.
Now THAT is my perfect night!!!!

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh, I just love this. I love that you turned something that could have not been something so great into something wonderful : ) and I LOVE that you got a tiara. You are totally a princess Dawn! Totally a princess!

Kat said...

Dawn, passing along an award that Heathahlee passed to me. Come for a visit when you can. I always love your visits, you can choose whether or not you want to pass along the award ;)

jenn said...

Oh, I need a little Polynesian sauce and wine right now! I have missed reading you and hope to be back on track! Glad your evening got better--spending real time with a good friend is priceless!

Back to Top