September 30, 2008

as the deer

We have lived in our home for almost eight years... which means that I have been driving the same route to anywhere... for almost eight years. Along the way... to everywhere, we pass a few small canals, and a small lake-ish body of water. We have watched for alligators for years- almost an everyday guaranteed sighting! Once in a great while, we'll see a wild pig out on the hill of the golf course- or maybe a couple of turkeys. For the past year or so, I have begun to spot deer. Yes, deer. I remember seeing my first deer ever... in Virginia, while Eric was stationed in Yorktown. It was really cool- a special thing for me. And now, when I see a couple of the hill, it brings it back. I don't know why the deer have this affect on me... but, oh how I love to see them grazing. I'm sure the golf course doesn't mind, either! Lately, with all the rain we have had, the hills and the canals seem to have come alive- egrets, herons, woodstorks... all knee deep in the running water... and deer on the hills. Today I saw seven deer... all together. My heart leapt, and then laughed as two little ones scampered up the hill. I just love them. And I hope that they are relatively new to the area... because I hate to think they have been there... almost eight years... and I have just not seen them.

As the deer panteth for the water, so my soul longeth after Thee...
You alone are my hearts desire and I long to worship Thee.
You alone are my strength my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my hearts desire and I long to worship thee.

2 comments :

Busy Bee Suz said...

I know the hill you are speaking of..I have only seen one there before.
I love seeing them too. Unless they have been hit by a car. I don't like that.
We used to see them out back in the yard for our first couple of years here...I think they have been run out....and over to the hill.

Dawn said...

thanks for sending them on over my way... i knew you were a good friend! of course, now i don't see them without thinking of your dancing sticker....

Back to Top